Sunday, February 22, 2015

This week we have learned about digital citizenship.  The ISTE standards for teachers states what skills our students need to know.  Here is how I will address them through my classroom.

4a. Advocate, model, and teach safe, legal, and ethical use of digital information and technology, including respect for copyright, intellectual property, and the appropriate documentation of sources.  
We really aren't at the point of citing material in second grade.  Though we do talk about surfing the internet safely.  I use the kid's search site KidRex.org.  My students enjoy searching on this site about all their inquiries.  I will model the citing of information and the reasons for doing it.

b. Address the diverse needs of all learners by using learner-centered strategies providing equitable access to appropriate digital tools and resources
I use a number of programs within my curriculum that differentiates for each learner.  I use FrontRow in math.  I also use Reading Eggs and Imagine Learning for reading.  Each of these programs takes the students through the standards at their own level. I also love to incorporate choice within projects.  Often I give an assignment, however I give them a choice of the mode to deliver it.

c. Promote and model digital etiquette and responsible social interactions related to the use of technology and information
I really enjoy the way that Common Sense Media creates their digital citizenship lessons.  I have already done some of the lessons on that site.  I enjoy the well organized lessons that they provide.  I plan on doing the Staying safe online lesson.  I have already shared my video on cyberbullying with my class.  They enjoyed it and we had a great discussion.  They now want to create their own Animoto videos.

 d. Develop and model cultural understanding and global awareness by engaging with colleagues and students of other cultures using digital age communication and collaboration tools.
I have enjoyed taking my students on virtual field trips.  We traveled to Plymouth plantation before thanksgiving and discovered how the pilgrims lived long ago.  We are beginning to read about Polar regions in our Being A Writer unit.  I want to incorporate the virtual trip to Antarctica .  I feel that this will really bring the topic to life.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post Deanna. I like how even though you are in second grade you are addressing and modeling how to cite information found online. Many teachers do not do this. Also, I am glad y ou shared your Cyberbullying video made with Animoto, I hope your students get a chance to create with it.

    ReplyDelete